Here are the recommendations submitted during the Rulemaking of Public Act 95-0671. Important note: The State of Illinois Eye Examination Report was adopted 6/09 WITHOUT any of these recommendations.
1. The heading currently reads: Illinois law requires that proof of an eye examination by an optometrist or physician (such as an ophthalmologist) who provides eye examinations be submitted to the school no later than October 15 of the year the child is first enrolled or as required by the school for other children. The parent of any child who is unable to obtain an examination must submit a waiver form to the school.
Recommendations in red to add to the heading:
Illinois law requires proof of an eye examination by a licensed optometrist or physician who provides eye examinations (e.g. ophthalmologist) shall be submitted to the school no later than October 15 of the year the child is first enrolled. The parent of any child who is unable to obtain an eye examination must submit a waiver form to the school.
2. Accommodation needs to be on its own line.
3. Vergence needs to be on its own line.
4. The following sentence is awkward: "Note: Not able to assess refers to the inability to complete the test, not the inability to provide the test." It raises unanswered questions and probably should be removed.
5. Below "1. Corrective Lenses," Add "2. Vision Therapy" with check boxes "NO" and "Yes, referred to ____________________.
Vision therapy is another form of treatment:
6. "Recommend" Re-Examination should be "Recommended" Re-Examination
7. Print and signature name: Replace "such as" with "e.g." to read the same as the beginning:
Optometrist or physician who provides eye examinations (e.g. ophthalmologist)
8. Change designation order to: OD MD DO (OD should be first since that is listed first.)
We hope you will support our efforts as we bring children's vision into the 21st century.
Thank you for making a difference in the eyes of a child!